Most of us don’t think twice about how much we rely on our doors and windows each day. They are so much a part of the background in modern living that we often take them for granted. That is until something breaks or a problem starts to occur. These vital components of our home are a wonder of technology, providing sunlight, air, access, visibility, protection, and home defense. When products begin to show signs of stress and aging, how do you know when to buy and install replacement windows and doors in Tigard, OR?
Just because your windows and doors may appear dated, doesn’t always mean it’s ready to be replaced. But it can indicate that you should keep an eye on them to watch for wear and tear, weakness, or other indications of product failure. If your windows and doors are getting toward the end of their useful life, here are several things you can watch for as you regularly inspect them:
Once or twice a year, preferably in different seasons, do a walk-through of your home and evaluate your windows. Pay close attention during your inspection, looking for evidence of any damage, weakness, or failure. As you examine your windows closely, take note of the following:
- In the summer months, is the inside glass or window frame warm or hot to touch?
- In the winter months, is the inside glass or frame quite cold to the touch?
- Do you ever observe condensation or frost buildup inside or on the window?
- Standing next to a window, can you feel a change in temperature?
- Do you notice any cracked or dry sealant?
- Do you notice any water stains, mold, or decay around the window?
- Do the lock systems still function to secure your windows?
- Is there any drafting around the window allowing an exchange of air with the outside?
If the answer is yes to any of the above questions, it may be the right time for residential window replacement. To be sure, you can call on our window expert to consult with you at your home. They will help you to identify those windows that need to be replaced, and those that could use some maintenance and service, if any.
After reviewing windows, take the time to inspect your exterior doors. You should test each door for function. Observe if any of your doors are not performing properly. As you do so, look for the following details:
- Is the door resistant to opening or closing?
- Does the door get stuck anywhere along the path of travel?
- Are there any stress cracks or warp in the frame or door?
- Are there any visible gaps in the closed door’s fit with the frame?
- Do you notice any dents, rust stains, peeling paint, or surface lift?
- As you stand next to the door, do you feel any temperature change?
- Depending on the season, is the internal side of the door hot or cold to the touch?
- Are there air drafts around the edges of the door when it is closed?
If you have noticed any of the above symptoms in your exterior doors, it may be time to upgrade or make repairs.
Installing New Doors and Windows in Your Home
Window installation is not as simple as it used to be. For DIYers, this fact can be a problem. Technical advancements in the industry have led to improvements in both the products themselves, but also the methods and materials used to install and weatherproof them in your home correctly. For these reasons, it’s best to have a professional install your new windows and doors. When you hire a contractor, it’s a good idea to do the following:
- Request references for other replacement window and door installations in Tigard, OR that they have handled in the last 2-3 years. Follow up as able.
- Look for a contractor with an established business. Do your homework and research the company, starting with a review of their website. Identify details of certifications, licensure, insurance, and bonding.
- Make sure the contractor is qualified to install the specific brand of windows and doors that you have purchased and are intending to install. If they do not have the proper training or certification, it could inadvertently void your warranty.
Selecting Replacement Windows and Doors in Tigard, OR
At Advanced Energy Services, we understand the complexity and overwhelm of choosing products that you can trust. That’s where our friendly pro team can provide support. When you work with us, we’ll help you to meet your stated goals for replacement windows and doors in Tigard, OR at a price you can afford. We are a master dealer of Milgard products. Come and see us at 9150 SW Pioneer Ct Ste D Wilsonville, OR 97070, or call us for a free consultation in your home at (503) 563-6866.